Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 5: Easter Egg Candles


I cannot believe Easter is only a few days away.

I have enjoyed making some simple decorations to have around the house as reminders of the season. Today I will share one more; then I think it is time to focus on the food for the weekend.

I am looking forward to the weekend, family visiting, and celebrating Christ's resurrection.


Among other exciting things, one thing I am quite excited about is the opening of the farmer's market this weekend. The day before Easter, what perfect timing. I hope to find some fresh, spring veggies for our Easter dinner.

Speaking of Easter dinner, I saw these little egg candles on Martha Stewart and thought they would be fun to have on the table. You can check out the instructions and pictures of Martha's egg candles on her website, here. Below are pictures of my experience making them.

Using a pin prick some tiny holes in the top of egg shell.

Using the pin and fingers make the hole in shell larger.

Until you can dump out the egg white and yolk;
I collected them in a container and we had them for dinner.

Carefully break pieces off of egg shell until the opening is desired size and shape.

Dye egg shells; I used natural dyes made from paprika, blueberries, and raspberry tea.

Wicks bought at Michael's

Place dyed and dried egg shells in egg carton, and place a wick in each.

Melt wax, I used an old candle that was no longer burning right.
You can also purchase wax at a craft store.

Fill each egg shell with melted wax; I used an old can because I did not have a funnel.
Be careful not to fill too full, only to the height of the lowest part of the egg shell.

Let wax cool and trim wicks.

I do not have any of those cute little egg cups,
so I used beer bottle caps as egg holders.
I know, classy.

Light wick, I only lit one so far, saving the rest
for Easter Dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment