Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 19: Container Garden Part 1: Flowers


I finally had a sunny afternoon free to start working on the plans I have for a container garden on the balcony. After stops at Good Will, The Dollar Store, and Home Depot, I had collected my materials and was ready to start planting.

I have always gardened in the ground before, particularly in a small, sunny garden space we had. However this year the only outdoor space we have to ourselves is our little balcony, and that little balcony does not see much sun. When it does see the sun, in the late afternoon, the light is filtered through the trees, and I will confess that my lounge chair takes up the sunniest spot. I get priority, over the plants, to the sun. Hey, I need the sunshine too.

So, I hit the shade tolerant plants section at the garden center and went with the following: impatiens, coleus, coral bells, begonia, lobelia, and lilyturf grass (which apparently is deer resistant, just in case a deer finds its way to our balcony).

I picked out some containers at Good Will and The Dollar Store. Most did not have drainage holes in the bottom, so before planting the flowers in the containers, I added some large pieces of sea glass and sea shells (I didn't have the more traditional stones or rocks to add) to the bottom of the planters to give drainage space. Then I planted away, giving a good watering when I was finished.









No comments:

Post a Comment