Saturday, April 21, 2012

April 21: Container Garden Part 2: Herbs



My container gardening adventure continued today; check out part 1 from Thursday.

This morning, the farmer's market offered lots of started herb and veggie plants. It was hard to choose. Again, due to the very limited sunshine on the balcony, I limited myself and decided not to plant fruiting veggies this year. I did pick up some lettuce plants and swiss chard plants. However, upon returning home I realized I don't have a container for them, so they will wait for another day (I see container gardening part 3 coming).

Herbs were where it was at for my planting today. I had two rectangular planters that came from Mom and Dad's shed that worked wonderfully.



First I placed the plants (still in there containers) in the planters to see how they would fit. These planters have drainage holes in the bottom, so I didn't worry about putting any stones or shells in the bottom. I started by putting some potting soil in the planters, then took the plants out of their containers, placed them in the container, and filled around them with more potting soil.

basil, thyme, cilantro, lemon balm

sage, parsley, oregano, rosemary, dill 

And, the balcony gets greener.


No comments:

Post a Comment