Thursday, January 26, 2012

Jan. 26: Zig Zag Crochet and Frittata

For some reason this week has seemed busier than usual; I am not sure why some weeks seem that way even if they don't have more planned into them than others. Maybe I am just crazy.


I have been looking for a new easy crochet project; I still consider myself a beginner. I decided to try learning a zig zag, or ripple, or chevron pattern. I am working on a short piece to get the hang of it. So far I am not too impressed with my work, but I think I figured out where I am making the mistake. I may end up starting over again. I have been following these instructions, http://www.handcraftingwithlove.net/yarn/pat-ripple.html.


And for dinner, a go to favorite, frittata. Tonight, like often, the frittata stared potato and kale. Frittatas are easy to make and pretty quick. I will try to explain how I make mine. Once upon a time I followed a recipe, but now I just make it up as I go.

Ingredients
- 1 potato diced
-  a few cups of kale chopped (or whatever veggies you want to use, broccoli is also nice)
-  garlic - about a 1/2 teaspoon minced
-  spices (cumin, rosemary, basil, oregano - a little of each - use whatever you like)
-  salt and pepper
-  eggs (4-8) scrambled
-  cheese (about 1/3 cup of whatever you like, I had cheddar and parm. tonight)


Heat a little olive oil in skillet. Saute potatoes for about a minute, until they start to stick. Add garlic and spices and stir. Add a little water to skillet and put a lid on it. Let simmer until potatoes are soft and water has evaporated (or if potatoes get soft first, drain excess water). Remove lid, stir potatoes, add kale, and stir until it wilts a bit. Add some salt and pepper. Pour eggs over the top of veggies and let sit in skillet until it sets up a little. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven, or until eggs are cooked through. We like to enjoy it with fresh bread from the bread machine, but not today, I was not that industrious.






No comments:

Post a Comment