Friday, January 20, 2012

Jan. 20: Bird Garland and Hanging Plants

Today I continued with my project of organizing/decorating our bedroom (see Jan. 17). J comes home tomorrow, my unofficial deadline, and I had two more ideas to create and hang in order finish the bedroom spruce up (at least for now). 

First, a garland of felt birds to hang over the closet. By now you are probably sick of these cute little felt birds, but I just love them.













The birds are cut out of brown felt, their wings out of yellow felt. The wings and button eyes were stitched on with blue embroidery floss. Lastly the birds were stitched onto a length of jute and hung. A few of the litte guys didn't want to hang quite right, so I used a little hot glue to hold them properly in place.

Back view
Ready to be hung


Second, hanging plants for the window. When we moved in there were three hooks hanging from the rafters in front of the bedroom window; I often wondered what hung there before. My best guess was plants, so why not add a little greenery to the room now.


I followed the instructions from this website to make the hanging strings, http://www.refinery29.com/3-easy-holiday-gift-diys-under-15/slideshow?page=38#slide-20. However, instead of replanting the plant in a bowl, I simply popped the little potted plant in a small glass. Now it will have some room to drain when watered. I used jute for the rope.


This turned out to be one of my favorite creations so far. It was easier than I expected; I even made one while talking on the phone with my parents. There are a few more random hooks hanging from the rafters of our apartment; I think I see plants in their future.

No comments:

Post a Comment