Thursday, February 23, 2012

Feb. 23: Lent Mixed Media Collages

I cannot believe Lent is already here, even was yesterday; it is funny how time can seemingly pass so slowly and yet so quickly at the same time. In the past I have observed (or not observed) Lent in various ways from giving up soda to going to the gym regularly to giving up TV. However, last year Lent seemed the most real to me, by real I mean really connecting to God more closely. Around the time of Lent I had a lot of big questions for God about life, purpose, disappointment, change and His promise to give us more than we can imagine, and I (and we, J and I) spent a more focused time of prayer around these things during Lent. I learned a lot about God and our relationship with him and found some answers during that time and after to those questions I was asking. 

This year as I think about Lent, I long for that reconnecting closely with God during this season again. While I am half committed to giving up bagels, (hey, they are always there and free to me in both coffee shops and I am pretty sure I have gained a few bagel pounds in the last month) I desire a more meaningful endeavor as well. Creativity and art have long been a way I feel connected to God, and through them I feel able to express my love for God, my understanding of Him, my hope in Him, my desires, questions, fears, as well as His grace, love, gifts. So, I have decided to create a mixed media collage each day of Lent. I chose a book of daily scripture reflections for Lent to structure my scripture choices, thoughts, and creativity (see below for more info. on the book). I took over a sunny corner of our guest room and laid out lots of materials to work with. 


My plan is to each day read the scripture and reflection from the book, reflect, pray, and create while continuing to reflect, meditate, listen, and pray. On the back of each collage I will jot a few lines of things I thought or people I prayed for, just so I can look back and trace my thinking or see how God has answered those prayers. I will share each collage with you and hope that they will bring blessing to you. I welcome you to join me in this creative celebration of Lent and connecting with God in your own creative way, in whatever media, however often. If you do, leave a comment, I would love to see your creations and what God is doing in your life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The book I chose:
Lord, Open My Heart: Daily Scriptural Reflections for Lent By Julie Davis

Why I chose it:
It was a dollar on my Kindle (I wanted something immediately), it was the format I was looking for, scripture and short reflection for each day of Lent. 

Qualifier:
I have yet to decide if I recommend it and there is a good possibility there is a better book out there. However, I believe all scripture is from God and believe He will teach me through this book. 

A little from the introduction:
"Lent is about restoring our proper perspective toward God."
"These daily scripture reflections lead the reader to a deeper appreciation of the sacrifice of Jesus and the meaning of our redemption."
I could use those things, always : )

Note:
She quotes scripture from the New American Bible; I will quote from the New International Version (NIV); you may see both/either on the collages.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1: Perspective and Transformation


Your Father who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 
Matthew 6:18



Day 2: Listen and Hold


Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. 
Deuteronomy 30: 19,20




1 comment:

  1. ok, so I'm finally getting caught up on your blog and I'm sad that I missed your Lent collage challenge! I love this idea and I love your collages. I was thinking of doing something similar this year (not necessarily collages, but drawings/paintings etc.), but I never got around to it. You've inspired me for next year! Way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete