Friday, May 4, 2012

May 4: Garlic Scape and Basil Pesto

Yum! That's what I have to say first.

Second, I love pesto; it has long been one of my favorites. I also love garlic, so no surprise I love, love, love garlic scape and basil pesto. Ok, I think I used the word love enough.

Garlic scapes are a sign of spring; look for them at your farmer's market, that's where I always snag mine. And, today I harvested my basil plants for the first time. Ok, most of that work was done by a farmer from the market too because I bought the plants started from him. Therefore, tonight seemed like the perfect night for enjoying this treat. It is super simple to make; the food processor does all the work. I don't use exact measurements but will do my best to approximate and explain.


What you need:
- small bunch of garlic scapes
- handful of basil leaves
- handful of almonds
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup parm. cheese
- 1/4 -1/2 cup olive oil
-food processor

What to do:
- wash and roughly chop garlic scapes
- wash basil and remove leaves
- put basil, garlic scapes and about 1/4 cup olive oil in food processor, process until finely chopped
- add almonds and parm. cheese to food processor, process until desired consistency, you will probably also need to add more olive oil


The pesto can be put on just about anything. Pasta is an easy choice. Chicken or fish topped with it are delicious. Try a pesto burger or spread it on toast. And, I may be dipping some crackers in it as I write this. Today J got a crown on his tooth, so I think a soft meal of pasta and pesto will be perfect for dinner tonight.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment