Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 24: Summery Blanket

When I work an early morning, opening shift at the coffee shop I often find myself on the couch taking a little nap mid-afternoon in hopes of not falling asleep by 8pm that evening. I love snuggling up on the couch with a blanket whether it is for that nap or to watch a movie with J.

Yesterday as I napped under my favorite snuggling blanket I found myself sweating but still wanting to be under the blanket. Today, I resolved to make a more summery blanket. I used that favorite snuggling blanket as a template for the size and 6 rectangles front layout of my summer blanket.

You are probably getting tired of seeing these fabrics in all my projects, but I used pieces of sheets I picked up at Good Will so that the blanket would be lightweight (just a side note, those fabrics are almost gone, maybe one more project out of them).

This was a pretty quick and easy project. I refused to use pins or properly measure for most of it. I started by cutting out six rectangles (same size) and sewing them together to make the front of the blanket. Then I cut a large piece of fabric the same size as my front, to be the back. I then sewed the front and the back together, right sides facing, on all 4 sides, leaving about 6 inches open for turning. I turned the blanket right sides out and top-stiched using a zig-zag stitch around all 4 sides. I also zig-zag top-stitched where the front rectangles were sewn together.

Now I am off to the coffee shop for the afternoon where I will be dreaming of a nap on the couch with my new summery blanket or, perhaps, using it as a picnic blanket on this nice, sunny, spring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment