Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March 14 (3.14, pi Day!!!): Breakfast Smoothie

Happy pi Day!!!

Although this is not about pie, rather a yummy smoothie. However, it has lots of fruit, so I guess that is close enough.

Last weekend we watched the documentary, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. The main point of the movie is the benefits of juicing fresh vegetables and fruits. I don't have a juicer, but I often make fruit and oatmeal smoothies for breakfast. This morning I thought, hmm, I could add some veggies to my usual smoothie. I started easy just adding some spinach and a little parsley. It was pretty delicious; I will continue to experiment with adding different veggies (and I am even contemplating purchasing a juicer).


Here is the low down on what went into my smoothie. Note, all measurements are approximate and pretty much everything can be substituted for something else or eliminated if you don't like it.

Breakfast Smoothie
1/2 cup frozen fruit
1/2 cup yogurt
1/3 cup oatmeal
water (add some, add more if needed as you blend) (you can also use juice or green tea)
1/2 green apple
1/2 banana
1 cup spinach
fresh parsley (strong flavor, go easy at first, you can always add more)

Add frozen fruit, yogurt, oatmeal and water, blend
Add apple and banana, blend
Add spinach and parsley, blend

I add a few ingredients and blend before adding more, just to make it easier, and not all the ingredients fit in my little blending cup thingy at once. I use my handy Cuisinart Smart Stick to blend, but I am sure a blender would work just fine. I use the Smart Stick because it is much easier to clean.

Here are a few pics.





Yum!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment